Monday, June 22, 2015

Technology Project handout

Please find my Technology Project handout pasted below:


Resources for Argumentation Folder Project handout


Jonathan O’Brien (jonathan.obrien@nwtc.edu)


Date: 6/23/15

· Since this project is housed in a Blackboard shell that is password-protected, I cannot provide a Web address for easy access. Anyone wanting any parts or documents in the folder should email me, and I will send back a zipped file of the contents of the folder.

 
 
· Overview: This project consists of a folder housed in a Blackboard shell consisting of resources on the topic of argumentation. Included elements are articles on the argumentation, webpages to visit, examples to consider, an annotated bibliography, and a Prezi to get things started. I plan to use this folder in my in-person and online writing courses.
 
 
· Technology Project Audience: First- and second-year composition students. My hope is that this folder will be an engaging multi-media destination for students as they think about their argumentative research papers.
 
 
· List Key Features of the Technology Project: Sub-folders within the larger folder including those with the following names: Argumentation Prezi, Articles on Argumentation, Videos on Argumentation, Argument Examples, Argument Discussion, Background Information, Annotated Bibliography on Argument, Links to other Argument Resources, and a folder for fun: Argumentation Memes and Cartoons.
 
· Primary References: List 3 sources you used as you wrote about your Technology Project:
 
 
  • Bartholomae, David. “Inventing the University.” When a Writer Can’t Write: Studies in Writer’s Block and Other Composing-Process Problems. Ed. Mike Rose. New York: Guilford, 1985. 134-165. Print.
    • This well-known source made me look critically at what I had previously assumed, that students know what is meant by the terms argument and research. The realization that this is not always true has induced me to develop more resources for students learning those two academic writing modes.
  • Knoblauch, A. Abby. “A Textbook Argument: Definitions of Argument in Leading Composition Textbooks.” College Composition and Communication 63.2 (2011): 244-268. ERIC. Web. 2 Jan. 2015.
    • This comparative study of argumentation as taught in composition textbooks clarified to me that much of the scholarly innovations regarding argumentation and research are not making their way into those same textbooks. As a result, my technology project aims to fill this gap for my students by offering more options for argumentation and research.
  • Uysal, Hacer Hande. “Argumentation across L1 and L2 Writing: Exploring Cultural Influences and Transfer Issues.” Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 9 (2012): 133-159. Print.
    • This study is intriguing as a continuation of research in the field of contrastive rhetoric. It helped me better formulate how students from other cultures formulate arguments. Part of my argumentation project covers this topic and my hope is to invest other approaches to argumentation with symbolic value so that students can find their own argumentative voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment